Water Supply Upgrades, Canaan, VT
Water Supply Upgrades
Canaan Fire Districts (FD) #1 and #2, Canaan, VT
Tata & Howard provided engineering services associated with water supply upgrades for Canaan FD #1 & #2. These two districts are located about 1.5 miles apart, meet monthly, and have one operator. For FD#2, located in Beecher Falls, VT, Tata & Howard completed construction of a new concrete storage tank, well upgrades, and distribution system improvements including significant replacement of pipe. Tata & Howard was able to secure a 75% grant for the project which resulted in little impact to their water rates.
Fire District #2
FD#2 has 100 customers. The issues included inadequate system pressures, inadequate storage tank, inadequate disinfection system, and leaky pipes.
Tata & Howard developed solutions that included the following:
- A new storage tank at an elevation that would eliminate all pressure issues
- Distribution piping replacement and addition of hydrants of flushing and fire protection
- Reduction in water losses allowing for reduced well pump size, resulting in lower annual power and chemical costs
Fire District #1
FD#1 has two sources of supply. One is a large spring system located in Canada which consists of ten springs connected together, all under the influence of surface water and the other is a high yielding well source in the town limits. The issues are inadequate spring source construction and ability to maintain, low system pressures across the State line (they provide water service to West Stewartstown, NH), inadequate flushing capabilities, inadequate distribution piping, high iron and manganese levels in well source, and inadequate storage tank.
The solutions include the following:
- Elimination of the spring sources due to Canadian border issues and high cost for upgrading the springs and connection piping
- Installation of filtration system to meet the standards for FE and MN
- Construction of new larger water storage tank
- Development of a second emergency supply
- Improvements to distribution piping
In addition, we completed a feasibility study.