Greensboro Fire District #1, Greensboro, VT
Tata & Howard first assisted the District with responses to the Water Supply Division Sanitary Survey and then developed alternatives for the long term plan that would address all of the deficiencies and meet compliance with the Federal and State drinking water rules. The issues were as follows:
- Wooden roof over concrete storage tank
- Inadequate disinfection system and metering of source
- Inadequate system pressures at the highest points within the system
- Water losses
- Inadequate metering of sources of supply to the storage tank
- Inadequate distribution piping for fire flows.
The solutions developed were as follows:
- Design and installation of concrete precast cover on storage tank
- Design of new building at storage tank with flow measurement and disinfection and better storage tank access for cleaning
- Virtual abandonment of auxiliary springs and surface water emergency source
- Design of water main replacement to meet required system pressures for compliance with the drinking water standards and rules
- Locating, permitting and developing a new source of supply (well) to supplement the existing wells and virtually eliminate the old spring sources due to the potential for contamination that had occurred in the past.
- Securing the maximum amount of grant funding available to the District at 45% with the remainder a low interest loan.